- Guide to Measuring & Fitting Martingale Collars
Guide to Measuring & Fitting Martingale Collars
Shop by Category
If you are unfamiliar with a martingale collar or half-check collar, please read our articles, Martingale Dog Collars: Types & Uses and Martingale Collar Safety & Use.
A martingale collar should fit like a regular collar when on your dog. The size ranges we cite on our website is the range of the collar (smallest to largest) and you should choose a size that your dogs neck size will fit within.
How to measure & determine the size you need for a Slip-On Martingale or Half-Check collar (slips over the head):
- Measure 1) the largest part of your dog's head, and 2) the middle of his/her neck.
- If your dog's head is larger than its neck, you will use your dogs head measurement to determine the size you need.
- If your dogs neck is larger than his head, you will use your dogs neck measurement to determine the size you need.
- Now add at least 1" for smaller dogs, and 2" (for larger dogs) to to the above measurements (head or neck). For example, if your dogs head is bigger than his neck and measures 17", you will add 2" to that (19") and will need a collar with a size range that goes up to 19." For example, if you are purchasing one of our slip-on martingale collars, you will need a Large (size range: 15" - 20").
How to measure & determine the size you need for a Buckle Martingale or Buckle Half Check collar:
- Measure your dogs neck size (middle of his/her neck where the collar will sit).
- Add 2" to 2.5" to to your neck measurement for larger dogs and 1" to 2" for smaller dogs. For example, if your dogs neck measures 17", you will add 2" to that (19") and will need a collar with a size range that goes up to 19." For example, if purchasing one of our buckle martingale collars, you will need a Large (size range: 15" - 20").
NOTE: If you are ordering a custom collar, be mindful of the width of the collar and how it will fit on your dog. While you may order any width you'd like, the wider the collar, the heavier and bigger the hardware will be. Especially with the chain loop martingales. The narrower the collar, the thinner and weaker the hardware will be. For best results, order the width that corresponds to our in-stock styles:
- 5/8" wide for x-small, small collars;
- 3/4" wide for medium collars
- 1" for large, x-large collars.
How to fit your dog in your martingale collar or half-check collar once it arrives:
- Adjust the collar it to it's largest size, working the nylon adjuster as far down as it will go
- Slip the collar over your dog's nose and head. Once at the neck, adjust it down to a size for some wiggle room. You should be able to fit a finger or two in between your dogs collar and neck comfortably.
- Attach your leash to the D-ring on the loop of the collar, and you are ready to go!
About The Artful Canine Martingale Collars
Our martingales are fully adjustable, comfortable, durable, fashionable, and designed to last. All of our collars are made in our shop in the USA, and come with a limited 1 year guarantee. We offer several different martingale styles - a slip-on style, half-check (chain loop) style, a buckle martingale, and a buckle (chain loop) half-check. We have a huge selection of martingale collars in stock, and we offer half-checks made to order almost any way you want!