- Guide to Fitting Martingale Collars
Guide to Fitting Martingale Collars
Shop by Category
Is a Martingale Collar Right for You and Your Dog?
If you are unfamiliar with a martingale collar, the different types available and how each is used, we suggest you read our blog article, Martingale Dog Collars: Definitions & Uses before you buy. That way you will learn exactly which type of martingale will work best for you and your dog.
About Our Martingales
Our martingale collars are perfect for leash training, escape artists, dogs with small heads and any sort of "escape artist" you might have. Like our regular collars, an Artful Canine Martingale Collar is fully adjustable, comfortable, durable, fashionable, and designed to last. All of our collars are made by us in the USA, and come with a limited 1 year guarantee. We offer several different martingale styles that you can customize to suit your needs - a slip-on style, half-check (chain) style, a buckle martingale, and a buckle half-check.
How to determine the size you need for a Slip-On Martingale collar:
- Measure the largest part of your dog's head, and the middle of his/her neck.
- If your dog's head is larger than its neck, you will need a size that is large enough to slip comfortably over its head.
- If your dogs neck is larger than his head, then you need a collar that will fit comfortably around its neck. Your dogs head size will not matter in this case (e.g., Greyhounds, Shelties, etc.)
- Add 2" to the largest measurement (head or neck) for larger dogs so that you have some room for weight gain or coat growth. For smaller dogs, 1" to 1.5" will do.
- The collar size you select should adjust large enough to fit over the head, and adjust small enough to fit comfortably around the neck.
How to determine the size you need for a Buckle Martingale collar:
- If you are buying a martingale with a buckle, then you need only to fit the neck size. Measure the width of the middle of his/her neck.
NOTE: If you are ordering a custom collar, be mindful of the width of the collar and how it will fit on your dog. While you may order any width you'd like, the wider the collar, the heavier and bigger the hardware will be. The narrower the collar, the thinner and weaker the hardware will be. For best results, order the width that corresponds to our in-stock styles: 5/8" for x-small, small collars; 3/4" for medium collars, 1" for large, x-large collars.
How to fit your dog in your martingale collar once it arrives:
- Adjust the collar it to it's largest size, working the nylon adjuster as far down as it will go
- Slip the collar over your dog's nose and head. Once at the neck, adjust it down to a size that, with space for a finger or two for some wiggle room, comfortably fits your dog's neck.
- Attach your leash to the martingale collar D-ring, and you are ready to go!
Like all of our dog walking gear, our martingale dog collars are deigned to last and are covered under our All Artful Canine dog collars are washable and handcrafted exclusively by us here in Sunny Florida. Our Martingale dog collars are available in nearly all of our snap-on collar designs, from sizes X-Small to X-large.